Friday, December 24, 2010





Taking a look at my process here. This took about 3 1/2 hours to complete. All done on PhotoShop with my Wacom tablet. If the layout is backwards, it's because of my depressingly bad computer skills. And the fact that I am too lazy to go back and fix it. Sorry about that. I fail!

The picture on the bottom is the original sketch. I'm not sure what I was really thinking of in terms of background. Looking at it again makes me think 'absolutely nothing at all'. In my head, I had only envisioned the girl posed in a sort of lounging position. When it came to sketching it, I hurriedly added the window-ledge-whatever around her so that I could get my bearings on how she would be leaning. Or something like that. As you can see, the window mysteriously disappeared after the second stage.

The second stage was polishing the lines a little bit - lowering the opacity on the first sketch, adding another layer, and then going over the lines again. Sort of fine-tuning it, getting a better idea of the pose. I then lowered the opacity on the second layer, making it so that the lines were slightly darker than the original sketch's.

Third stage - added another layer, and then did the polished inkwork. Smoothing out the lines and whatnot. Most annoying part of the process. At least, it is for me.

In stage 4, I create yet another layer, and then place it below the final ink layer. I erase the two earlier sketch layers, and then decide on colors. Gehnn (the character pictured here) has a sort of plain, muted look, so I keep it relatively simple. Her wardrobe goes more for function and comfort than fashion. Am now enjoying myself immensely.

LAST STAGE is shading 'n shining. Well, more shading than shining. Shining comes later, when I have time. Anyways, imagining where the light source is, and outlining and filling the shadows accordingly. Adding a shiny silver sheen to the metal parts of her boots. Finishing up, and yes! I am done!

Well, almost. There's still the shining to do. And a background, I suppose. But for now that's good enough.

And now I must go watch White Christmas with my mother. Tootle pip!





No comments: